Monday, November 23, 2009

Limping with God

To say I limped would have been an understatement. I hobbled. I would have preferred to saunter, even traipse or schlep - anything that didn't involve pain.

In fact, I reminded myself of Grandpappy Amos from the Real McCoys, who's image lingered in the cobwebs of my childhood memories. He would flap his elbows out like a chicken to get some kind of lift in order to take the pressure off his bad leg. I started doing that.

Several people commented..."hey gal, ya got a hitch in yer giddey-up" one guy exclaimed. "You been wrestling with God lately?" another questioned. I smiled. "No, I just didn't stretch before running, hoping to save a little time...ironic, huh?" They nodded knowingly.

And now I needed more than time, I needed to haul buns. I was in charge of our church women's event taking place in too days, and I couldn't muster the gumption to get off my chair. So much for "Hinds Feet on High Places", I'll settle for "Able to Amble with Advil" I muttered.

Each day I tried a new remedy. First Icy Hot, then a variety of pain killers (not all at once), and finally deep message (ouch). Then I'd give myself the pep talk - come on Colleen, push through the pain...you can do the thing... By the fifth day, I was ready to call My eighty-something Mom and ask to borrow her scooter.

Instead, I had a melt-down with God. At work no less.

I must have looked sad and pathetic with one leg dangling off the little love seat in my office as I cried out to God. I have so much to do, and I can't do anything. I am feeble, and helpless. I keep dropping things, and it hurts to bend down to pick them up! I can't do this event!" I sobbed - like admitting it was a surprise, and like He needed me to pull-off the event. Yet in that act of utter dependence, I felt something I had not experienced in days. I felt a profound sense of peace.

Having not slept well for five nights, I took a nap. When I awoke, something felt different. Rather than the stabbing pain in my hip, a warmness radiated in the wounded muscle, and I knew God was beginning to heal it.

By Friday, I couldn't strut, but I could definitely amble through the women's event. It came off without a hitch. My slight limp reminded me that God delights in displaying His power toward His children when they desperately cry out to Him for help. And like the Apostle Paul, I realized that when I am weak, God can pour out His grace and do far more than I could accomplish with two good hips.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your words :)
    How awesome it is that we can be weak with God...because He shows us so much through our weaknesses.
    Why is it though that it takes us getting to that point of utter weakness and pain sometimes to truly experience his power? I'd rather not have to go through the pain..but then I'd never experience the sweetness of my God in such a way that only comes by that means.
    By the way...I had no clue that you were limping that night!

    ReplyDelete